Though it is possible to achieve healthy skin at home, many people turn o skincare professionals when they need some extra help. And one treatment they often turn to is the basic facial. But what is a facial, anyway? Though the name is unassuming, the treatment can truly benefit skin, especially because every facial is tailored to the individual’s skin type. Read on for our in-depth look at this popular spa treatment.
What is a facial?
A basic facial is a skin treatment that cleanses pores, exfoliates away dead skin cells, and treats common skin concerns with a custom mask. This multi-step process is meant to rejuvenate and nourish faces, making skin appear healthier and younger. It is also a popular spa treatment to pamper and relax, right up there with a massage.
What happens during a facial?
Each facial begins with a consultation that helps the aesthetician determine the right products for your skin type and concerns. Once that’s been determined, the relaxing part begins! Most basic facials include some version of the following five steps:
1. Cleansing: Aestheticians massage a cleanser into the face, neck, and décolletage to remove any traces of makeup and dirt. Using warm water paired with a facial sponge, cloth, or cotton pad, they remove the cleanser, dry faces, and evaluate skin. This step helps them determine what type of custom mask they will apply later.
2. Exfoliation: Buff away dead skin cells with an exfoliating cream or scrub and/or open up pores with steam.
3. Extractions: This process is done to clear individual pores that have become clogged with excess oil or dead skin cells, which can form blackheads and acne.
4. Massage: A facial typically also includes a massage of the face—and often the upper body, too—that may be used to improve lymphatic drainage.
5. Masks and more: Estheticians then apply a custom mask, perhaps a clay-based one to treat oiliness or a hydrating one to combat dryness. The facial concludes with a serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen if it’s daytime. All masks are formulated with electrolytes that instantly hydrate the skin. Implementing masks into your skincare routine improves hydration levels, texture, acne, aging and uneven skin tone. Every mask has unique antioxidant blends that suit many skin care concerns.
What are the benefits of a facial?
Basic facials deeply cleanse skin and may help fight certain skin problems, such as mild acne or dryness. The treatments leave faces glowing and are typically very relaxing, as they include a massage component.